The Wycombe Islamic Society, WISE, is a registered charity which was established in 1991 to provide beneficial Islamic knowledge and services to the local community. It is based in High Wycombe, a small town centrally located between two major cities, London and Oxford. High Wycombe itself has a population of around 125,000 of which Muslims constitute approximately 15,000.
The Wycombe Islamic Centre (also known as Masjid as-Salam or the WISE Masjid) is a purpose built, multi-functional building and is a culmination of the combined efforts of the Muslim community over more than a decade. It was completed in 2009 by the grace of Allah.
WISE is currently made up of a representative mix of the society in which we live. The trustees and management team, all of whom are volunteers, range from industry professionals to company directors.
WISE organise a range of activities to meet the diverse need of the local community:
- As well as spiritual activities, such as daily congregational prayers and Friday prayers, WISE offers religious education for children and adults, Arabic language classes, and lectures on a variety of topics.
- We hold a wide-range of social and religious activities for women in both English and Urdu, details of which can be found on this site.
Youth at WISE
- There is the youth wing of WISE who organise regular events throughout the year:
- TeenWISE (for the girls). Facebook page: TeenWISE
- WIN (for the boys). Facebook page: Wycombe Islamic Network
- Cub-scouts, and scouts for boys and girls. Registration form is here
- Facebook page: WISE Scouts
Social at WISE
- For those who like to test out their skills and fitness, they can try their chance at badminton, table tennis, and football.
- There are also Eid parties and trips for the kids (and for the not-so-grown-ups!), food and clothes bazaars, and not to forget the mouth-watering BBQ extravaganza held annually.
- Monday Open Hour is held at the Centre every Monday at 8pm. Everyone is welcome to come, have tea and snacks and chat in an open, friendly environment
- Women have a monthly social gathering with food, drink and a creche
Education at WISE
- The bookworms can peruse the wide selection of material available at the WISE bookshop located in the centre itself.
- Additionally, there is the monthly bookclub held at the Masjid for women and a separate one for men.
- WISE YouTube Channel providing videos of lectures and courses run at the Centre
- We run a weekend madrasa providing free Islamic education for children
- We run a paid weekday madrasa for those parents wanting something extra for their children
- iGCSE in Islamic Studies; a 2 year course sitting the formal GCSE exam
- iGCSE in Arabic language; a 3 years course sitting the formal GCSE exam
Community at WISE
- Imam's drop-in surgery for counselling, advice and Q&A.
- School visits and visits to schools. Both have been running successfully and have been received extremely well.
- The Muslim directory for a link to local Muslim businesses and services
- Wycombe Sharing of Faiths
Charity at WISE
- WISE Welfare is the charity branch of WISE through which donations are raised and aid given locally, nationally and internationally.
You can visit our Facebook page for regular reminders and updates as well as follow us on twitter (@WISEMasjid). You can also contact us via the link at the bottom of this page if you want to join our mailing list or have any other queries.
To see a list of some of the events that WISE have organised over the last few years click here.
There should be something for everyone! However, if there's still something missing (halal of course!), then let us know and we will try our best to arrange it in sha Allah.
To download a leaflet about WISE, please click here.
For more information please feel free to contact us at:
Wycombe Islamic Centre
St Marks Close (off Totteridge Road)
High Wycombe, Bucks
Tel: 01494 259194
Registered Charity No. 1001136
email us using our contact form